Thursday, 19 November 2009

The Zunifier

I recently read an interesting article about the current state of the podcast community. It's a great article with some eye-opening facts & figures.

One particular statement caught my eye :"Do podcasters realize the Zune has been responsible for 17% overall increase in unique podcast listeners over the past two years? I question why podcasters would ignore a huge segment of potential listeners by not carrying a Zune subscribe icon on their website".

I am definitely one of those folks who has been guilty of not trying to cater for Zune users with a subscribe button on my podcast site.

So, I did a bit of research to find out how I could create a subscribe link or button on my site.

It actually turned out to be a bit trickier than I expected.

So, I thought this might be a good subject to roll up my sleeves for, and try to create a tool to share with other (running) podcasters, that would generate Zune subscription links & buttons.

Now, I'm not a particularly good coder, but I managed to cobble together some Javascript code to create the 'Zunifier'(!) Now, before you get too excited, it ain't the prettiest of sites/tools, but, it will do the job for you.

One thing you need to be aware of is that you must have Javascript enabled on your browser to use this tool.

So, if you've got Javascript enabled, you should be able to put in the title of your show, the address of your podcast RSS feed, and then hit the 'Zunify' button.

That's all there is to it. You will get a choice of a text link, a clickable icon, or a text link with an icon. You can copy the HTML code out of the boxes provided, and paste them on to your podcast web site.

Well, I hope the Zunifier helps you gain a few Zune listeners who might have otherwise not been able to give your podcast a listen. Have fun.

Nigel.

No comments:

Post a Comment